Your application

All applications for jobs at East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust must be submitted via Trac.

You will need to create a Trac account before you submit an application. After you have created an account, you can use Trac to check the progress of your application, make arrangements for your interview, and submit recruitment documents.


The type of qualifications will depend on the role you are applying for. For frontline roles within our 999 operations and Patient Transport teams, the qualification criteria is strictly observed. Each job we advertise will have a job description and person specification that is relevant to that role. Please read these fully before starting your application.

Equal opportunities

East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust is an equal opportunities and Disability Confident employer. We are committed to building a workforce that is representative of the diverse communities that we serve. We specifically seek and encourage applicants from Black and Minority Ethnic communities.


Frequently asked questions

All of our current job vacancies are advertised on our vacancies page.

Please read the job description and person specification carefully. Ensure you submit your application before the the closing date.

Some of our roles receive a particularly high number of applications. It is important that we give each application the time and attention it deserves. It might take up to eight weeks after the closing date for shortlisting to be complete.

Due to the high level of applications we receive, we are unable to provide feedback at shortlisting stage. If you haven’t heard the outcome of your application after eight weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. You can apply for future roles at EMAS. Your Trac account will remain active.

Many of our frontline operational posts will require you to drive an accident and emergency vehicle. If this is the case, it will be included in the job description. The person specification will include a range of essential criteria, which are required by the Road Traffic Act.

This includes:

  • A full UK driving licence and no more than three points on your licence. Any major offences or endorsements should be spent for at least 11 years.
  • If you passed your driving test after 1996, you must also have a C1 licence (or provisional C1 licence at the point of application) in order to carry out Accident and Emergency work. Please include the status of your C1 licence (full or provisional) on your application form. If your application is successful, you will need to obtain a full C1 licence before your first day in employment with EMAS; it will be a condition of your offer. To apply for a C1 provisional licence you will need to contact the DVLA. If you passed your driving test before 1996, a C1 licence will be included within your full driving licence. 
  • Good eyesight. Medical assessments are carried out for all key clinical roles.

Information about essential qualifications will be included in the job description and person specification. For many of our operational and frontline roles, the qualification criteria must be strictly observed.

At the time of the interview you will need to provide evidence of the essential qualifications stated in the person specification. International qualifications will also require a statement of comparability issued by ENIC.

At the interview stage, it may also be acceptable to provide proof that you have requested replacement certificates. Replacement certificates will be checked prior to appointment to ensure they comply with the essential qualifications outlined in the job description. The UK Government website provides guidance about requesting replacement certificates.

If you are unable to provide evidence of essential qualifications, you will not be able to proceed to the interview stage. We welcome you to apply for future vacancies after you have obtained proof of your qualifications.

In some cases, we are able to provide observation shifts to:

  • Members of EMAS NHS Trust staff
  • Community First Responders
  • Non-Executive Directors
  • Clinical members another NHS Trust
  • Current and former members of the Armed Forces
  • Frontline public service staff, such as Police or Fire
  • Students and trainee healthcare professionals over the age of 18 (such as student paramedics, nurses, or doctors)
  • Members of Parliament
  • Members of the Press
  • External Inspectors including CQC
  • Commissioners

Due to the nature of our service and the priority of care for our patients, we are unable to provide observation shifts to individuals who do not fit the above criteria.


No observational shifts are possible at present until further notice in any of our ambulance services or facilities for safety reasons due to Covid-19.

University route to becoming a paramedic

Paramedics are highly skilled healthcare practitioners who provide urgent or emergency care to patients in the patient's home or in the community. Many paramedics will have a degree in Paramedic Science or Paramedic Practice, 3 year BSc (Hons) programmes offered by a number of UK universities. There are also an increasing number of MSc programmes offered across the country.

EMAS provides placements for students enrolled on Paramedic Science or Paramedic Practice courses at universities within the East Midlands:

Please check the university website or prospectus for information about course entry requirements. Applications to Paramedic Science or Paramedic Practice courses must be made via UCAS and enquiries should be directed to the university.

Other routes to becoming a paramedic at EMAS

Nottingham Trent University has developed a Certificate of Higher Education in Ambulance Technician Practice in collaboration with EMAS. Students enrolled on the course will complete their placements with us and are eligible to apply for Technician roles at EMAS when they successfully complete the programme. Some of our Qualified Technicians then choose to apply for our internal Technician to Paramedic Apprenticeship, enabling them to train as paramedics whilst employed by EMAS.

Other frontline roles at EMAS

Find out about other frontline roles in the ambulance service, including training and development opportunities at EMAS.

We are not currently recruiting to our Emergency Care Assistant roles.

Instead, you may be eligible to apply for our Ambulance Support Crew (ASC), Patient Transport, or Urgent Care Assistant roles.

Check our current vacancies.

With a Category 1 (C1) Driving Licence, you can drive a Light Goods Vehicle (LGV) of up to 7,500kg. This includes emergency vehicles, such as dual crewed ambulances.

Step 1: Check you’re eligible

To obtain a C1 driving licence, you must:

  • Be aged 18 or older and have a full manual car (Cat B) licence. (If you have an EU licence, you must complete a D9 Form via the DVLA and obtain a UK licence with C1 provisional entitlement.)
  • Be able to read a new style number plate from 20 metres away.
  • Be able to pass an LGV medical test. You can arrange this with your GP. They will confirm the fee. You will need to take a D4 medical form to your appointment for your doctor to complete. LGV medical tests can also be done by a private provider (in some cases this is the cheaper option). 

Step 2: Apply for a provisional licence via the DVLA.

All applications for C1 licences must be made via the DVLA.

You will need to complete a D2 application form, which can be ordered from the DVLA or obtained from a post office.

You should receive your new licence within 10 to 15 days. However, bear in mind that extended wait time could apply during periods of high demand.

Step 3: Pass your LGV Theory Test.

The last step is to pass an LGV theory test.  You can book a test on the DVSA’s website or by calling 0300 200 1122.

You must pass both the LGV Multiple Choice and LGV Hazard Perception theory tests.

Step 4: Pass your C1 training course.

All frontline staff at EMAS must have a C1 Driving Licence.

Student technicians must have a C1 provisional licence at the point of application. If you plan to apply for a frontline role with us in the future, we recommend that you start the process of applying for your C1 licence even before the relevant job role is advertised.

After submitting your application to the DVLA, you should expect to receive your C1 provisional licence within around three weeks. Please bear in mind that the process of applying for a provisional licence also takes time, so you should factor this in when applying for any job where it is a requirement.

You do not need a C1 driving licence to work for the EMAS Non-emergency Patient Transport Service (NEPTS). You can drive all of our health transport vehicles on a standard UK car driving licence (category B).

C1 driving courses usually take 2-5 days to complete.

When preparing for your C1 ambulance driving test, it’s a good idea to take a driving assessment to determine how many hours of training you will need to reach the necessary standard to pass the course.

The cost of a C1 driving course will depend on the agency you choose.

We work very closely with external partner agencies who can provide this training at very competitive rates. In some circumstances candidates can choose to spread the cost of their C1 training via a salary sacrifice scheme.